Granny squares are easy to make, work up fast and are a clever way to use yarn leftovers. So if you are planning to crochet a Christmas blanket as a last minute project, then this is the way to go.
It wasn’t easy to find free patterns for interesting granny square designs, but after hours spent online, I gathered 12 beautiful patterns that you can use to make beautiful pieces of decor for your home or give as gifts.
Some are posted as dishcloth patterns, some are originally created in other colors than the traditional white, red and green colors used for Christmas patterns, but all patterns can be used as granny squares for blankets.
But before we continue, please note that this post contains affiliate links, I will earn a small percentage should you choose to purchase something, but it will be at no cost to you.
You can read the disclosure policy here.
Lets get started!
1. Blizzard Warning! Granny Square from Every Trick On The Hook
3. Gift Box Granny Square from Repeat Crafter Me
4. Christmas Wreath Granny Square from Ravelry
5. Magic Poinsettia Granny Square from Baking Outside the Box
This is a dishcloth design, but easily turned into a granny square as the pattern created a 9 1/2 inch square.
7. Captured Snowflake Granny Square from Baking Outside The Box
8. Santa Claus Granny Square from Maria’s Blue Crayon
The pattern is in Spanish, but the page is automatically translated by google.
10. Snowman Granny Square from Repeat Crafter Me
11. Christmas Tree and Hat Granny Square from Wiam’s Crafts
12. Crochet Christmas Reindeer Square from Repeat Crafter Me
This is a variation of the Christmas Lights Granny Square from the same designer.