Snowflake Square Free Crochet Pattern
When I wrote the pattern for the snowflake hexagon, I also made it into a square, and today I will show you how to crochet this beautiful festive Snowflake Square.
You can make it as big as you want by simply crocheting more rounds, I only made it big enough so the tips of the snowflake won’t go over the edge.
Scroll down for the written row-by-row pattern, video tutorial, and the swatches I made to show you how this snowflake square looks made in different color combinations.
Please note that this post contains affiliate links, I will earn a small percentage should you choose to purchase something, but it will be at no cost to you. Please read the disclosure policy.
Subscribe to Crafting Happiness YouTube Channel to save this video for later.
- crochet motif
- 1-row repeat
- 25cm x 25cm
- Marriner Yarn Aran in gray and white
- 5mm crochet hook
Pattern written in US terms using Craft Yarn Council abbreviations.
Picot Stitch (pst) – ch3, sl st in the base stitch (NOT the base chain) by inserting the hook through the middle of the stitch and behind the loops.
Double Crochet Cluster (dc cl) – *yo, insert hook in the ch space, yo and pull up a loop, yo and pull through only the first 2 loops on the hook* x 2, yo and pull through all the 3 loops on the hook.
Long Double Crochet (Ldc) – A long double crochet is made just like the regular one, except you insert the hook 2 spaces below and pull a long loop.
- ch3 at the beginning of the row counts as a dc stitch
- stitches contained within * * are the repeat section for that row
- stitches contained within ( ) are made in the same space
With White yarn and a 5mm hook, create a magic ring.
Round 1: Working in the magic ring, ch2, dc, ch2, *dc cl, ch2* x 7, sl st to close the round. Pull the magic ring tail to close the hole shut.
Round 2: Sl st in next ch2 space, (ch2, dc, ch2, dc cl) in the same ch2 space, *(dc cl, ch2, dc cl, ch2) in the next ch2 space* x 7, sl st to close the round.
Round 3: Sl st in next ch2 space, (ch2, dc, ch3, dc cl, ch2) in the same ch2 space, sc in next ch2 space, ch2, *(dc cl, ch3, dc cl, ch2) in next ch2 space, sc in next ch2 space, ch2* x 7, sl st to close the round.
Round 4: sl st in next ch3 space, (ch2, dc, ch1, dc cl, pst, ch1, dc cl, ch2) in the same ch3 space, *sc in next ch2 space* x 2, ch2, *(dc cl, ch1, dc cl, pst, ch1, dc cl, ch2) in next ch3 space, sc in next ch2 space, sc in next ch2 space, ch2* x 7, sl st to close the round.
Round 5: Change colors to Gray. Join the gray yarn by pulling a loop of gray yarn through the white loop and ch1, cut the white yarn and pull the tail to close the white loop.
*(2Sc) in next ch1 space, push the picot stitch in front and (2sc) in next ch1 space, dc in next ch2 space, (2ldc) in the ch space below on R2, dc in next ch2 space, (2dc) in next ch1 space, ch1, push the picot stitch in front and (2dc) in next ch1 space, dc in next ch2 space, (2ldc) in the ch space below on R2, dc in next ch2 space* x 4, sl st to close the round.
Round 6: Ch1, starting from the stitch where you sl st, *sc in next 4 stitches, dc in next 6sts, (2dc, ch2, 2dc) in next ch1 space, dc in next 6sts* x 4, sl st to close the round.
Round 7: Ch3 (counts as a dc), dc in next 11sts, (2dc, ch2, 2dc) in next ch2 space, *dc in next 20sts, (2dc, ch2, 2dc) in next ch2 space* x 3, dc in next 8sts, sl st at the top of ch3 to close the round, fasten off and weave in all the ends.
Download The PDF Version
If you want to download the printable PDF version of this tutorial, you can do so when you join my Patreon. You can read more about it and see what patterns are available inside the Crafting Happiness Patreon here. Choose from 2 tiers:
Pattern Lover £5.99
Dive deeper into the world of crochet with the Pattern Lover tier.
- Monthly 50% OFF Crafting Happiness pattern of your choice
- Ad-free PDF versions of all my FREE patterns
- Ad-free PDF versions of all published crochet tutorials
- Access to a private FB group where you can get help and support if you are stuck
- Patron-only updates on upcoming patterns
- Cast your vote on future designs
Crochet Pro £7.99
Become a Crochet Pro and take your skills to the next level. Here you’ll get everything from Pattern Lover plus:
- Monthly coupon code for 1 FREE Crafting Happiness pattern of your choice
- Exclusive video tutorials for select crochet patterns to guide you step-by-step
- Priority access to pattern support and assistance with any crochet-related questions.
And this is how you crochet a snowflake square. If you found this tutorial helpful, please share and Pin it! Follow me on Pinterest here.
Don’t forget to tag me @craftinghappinesscrochet with your creations, I would love to see them and share them with my fellow crocheters.
Looking For Other Crochet Motifs?
- Crochet Poinsettia Square Pattern + Video
- Free Crochet Snowflake Square Pattern + Video
- Free Waterlily Granny Square Crochet Pattern
- Free Remembrance Poppy Flower Hexagon Pattern With Video
- Free Remembrance Poppy Flower Square Pattern With Video
- Free Crochet Granny Snowflake Hexagon Pattern
- Crochet Granny Hexagon Free Pattern & Video
- How To Crochet An Oval: Tutorial & Video
The photographs in this tutorial are subject to copyright and are the property of Crafting Happiness, don’t use them to advertise your own creations. You may use photos from this post only if you directly link back to this tutorial.