Crochet Spades Stitch Border – Pattern Description
If you are looking for an easy one-row crochet border to decorate your blanket with, I have the perfect one for you: Spade Stitch Border.
The Spades Border looks like it’s been made with multiple rows, but actually, you are only crocheting one row.
You can make this border on any edge, from square to round. It suits any project you might want to embellish with this textured edge pattern.
I recommend you crochet a base row on your edge before starting the border. Use any plain stitch for your base row, I always make a single crochet row around my blankets before crocheting any border.
If you are making this border for a blanket, check out my base row tutorial for blankets with double crochet rows or base row tutorial for blankets with treble rows to give you an idea of how a base row is made based on the different types of stitches your blanket rows are made with.
Scroll down for the written pattern and the video tutorial.
Please note that this post contains affiliate links, I will earn a small percentage should you choose to purchase something, but it will be at no cost to you. Please read the disclosure policy.
Subscribe to Crafting Happiness YouTube Channel to save this video for later.
- no repeats
- multiples of 4x for blankets (round edges)
- multiples of 4 plus 3 for straight edges
Pattern written in US terms using Craft Yarn Council abbreviations.
No special stitches were used in this pattern.
Join the yarn 1stitch before the corner stitch with a slip knot.
Step 1 (The Corner): Starting from the same stitch where you joined, hdc, (2hdc) in next, ch3, release the loop of the hook, count backward 3sts and insert the hook in the 3rd, pick up the loop and pull it through, ch2, (2dc, 2tr, ch2, sl st in base stitch to create the picot stitch, tr, 2dc, ch2, sl st) all in the ch3 space.
Ch1, (2hdc) in the same stitch where you previously made 2hdc, ch3, release the loop, insert the hook 3sts back and pull the loop through, ch2, (2dc, 2tr, ch2, sl st in base stitch to create the picot stitch, tr, 2dc, ch2, sl st) all in ch3 space, ch1, sk1.
Step 2 (The Edge): *hdc in next 3sts, ch3, release the loop off the hook, count backward 3sts and insert the hoop into the 3rd, pull the loop through, ch2, (2dc, 2tr, ch2, sl st in base stitch to create the picot stitch, tr, 2dc, ch2, sl st) all in the ch3 space, ch1, sk1*, repeat from * until you have reached the next corner stitch.
Step 3 (Making the border along each edge of the blanket): repeat steps 1 & 2 on each side of your blanket (4 times in total). Once you reach the beginning of the round, sl st in the first hdc you made to close the round.
Fasten off and weave ends.
Download The PDF Version
If you want to download the printable PDF version of this tutorial, you can do so when you join my Patreon. You can read more about it and see what patterns are available inside the Crafting Happiness Patreon here. Choose from 2 tiers:
Pattern Lover £5.99
Dive deeper into the world of crochet with the Pattern Lover tier.
- Monthly 50% OFF Crafting Happiness pattern of your choice
- Ad-free PDF versions of all my FREE patterns
- Ad-free PDF versions of all published crochet tutorials
- Access to a private FB group where you can get help and support if you are stuck
- Patron-only updates on upcoming patterns
- Cast your vote on future designs
Crochet Pro £7.99
Become a Crochet Pro and take your skills to the next level. Here you’ll get everything from Pattern Lover plus:
- Monthly coupon code for 1 FREE Crafting Happiness pattern of your choice
- Exclusive video tutorials for select crochet patterns to guide you step-by-step
- Priority access to pattern support and assistance with any crochet-related questions.
And this is how you crochet the Spade Stitch Border. If you found this tutorial helpful, please share and Pin it! Follow me on Pinterest here.
Tag me @craftinghappinesscrochet with your creations, I would love to see how you used this border pattern on your projects.
Looking For Other Crochet Borders?
- How To Crochet Spade Stitch Border (With Video)
- Crochet Large Scalloped Edging Instructions
- Large Leaf Stitch Border With Video Tutorial
- V Stitch Shells Border Crochet Tutorial
- Crochet Easy Lace Border (aka Chain Border) With Video
- Triple Picot Border Crochet Tutorial With Video
- Crochet Dot Border Stitch Tutorial & Video
- Ruffled Edge Blanket Border Tutorial & Video
The photographs in this tutorial are subject to copyright and are the property of Crafting Happiness, don’t use them to advertise your own creations. You may use photos from this post only if you directly link back to this tutorial.