V-Stitch Shells Border – Pattern Description
Here’s another quick and easy blanket border tutorial perfect for beginners: the V-Stitch Shells Border.
The V Stitch Shells Border is made with double crochet shells crocheted on a row of V-stitches that gives your border a beautiful scalloped edge.
It works great for any kind of edge, from square and rectangle projects such as blankets and afghans to triangle edges such as shawls or straight edges such as scarves. You can even crochet it on a round edge such as a dress.
I recommend you crochet a base row on your edge before starting the border. Use any plain stitch for your base row, I always make a single crochet row around my blankets before crocheting any border.
If you are making this border for a blanket, check out my base row tutorial for blankets with double crochet rows or base row tutorial for blankets with treble rows to give you an idea of how a base row is made based on the different types of stitches your blanket rows are made with.
Scroll down for the written pattern with photos and the step-by-step video tutorial. I’ll show you inside the video how to adjust this beginner-friendly pattern to any type of edge.
Please note that this post contains affiliate links, I will earn a small percentage should you choose to purchase something, but it will be at no cost to you. You can see my full disclosure policy here. Thank you for supporting my work and this blog.
Subscribe to Crafting Happiness YouTube Channel to save this video for later.
- Multiples of 6sts for straight edges
- Multiples of 6sts + 2sts when crocheted in the round
- 2 row
- Marriner Yarns Aran
- 5mm crochet hook
Pattern written in US terms using Craft Yarn Council abbreviations.
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- ch – chain
- sk – skip
- yo- yarn over
V-Stitch (V-st) – (dc, ch1, dc) into the same stitch.
- This border requires you to have even numbers of stitches, but if you don’t, I am showing you in the video tutorial how to adjust the pattern
- The sections between * * and between ** ** are the sections that need to be repeated. The ** ** section includes the ones between * *.
- The section between ( ) is made in the same stitch.
- This border is crocheted in the round without turning, each round is closed with an sl st
Round 1: Join the yarn in the corner stitch. (Ch4 (counts as a dc + 1ch), Dc, ch1, V-st) in the same stitch where you joined, sk1, *V-st, sk1*, repeat from * until you have reached the next corner stitch, ** (V-st, ch1, V-st) in the corner stitch, sk1, *V-st, sk1*, repeat from * until you have reached the next corner stitch **, repeat the whole section from ** on each side of your project until you have reached the ch4 you have made at the beginning of your round, sl st in the 3rd chain from base to close the round.
Round 2: **sc in the next V-st, 7dc in the ch1 space between the V-sts made in the corner, sc in the next V-st, *sc in the next space between the V-sts, sc in the next V-st, 7dc in the next V-st, sc in next V-st*, repeat from * until you reach the 2 V-sts made in the corner, sc in the next space between the V-sts**, repeat the whole section from ** on each side of your project and you have reached the first sc you have made in this round, sl st in that sc to close the round.
Download The PDF Version
If you want to download the printable PDF version of this tutorial, you can do so when you join my Patreon. You can read more about it and see what patterns are available inside the Crafting Happiness Patreon here. Choose from 2 tiers:
Pattern Lover £5.99
Dive deeper into the world of crochet with the Pattern Lover tier.
- Monthly 50% OFF Crafting Happiness pattern of your choice
- Ad-free PDF versions of all my FREE patterns
- Ad-free PDF versions of all published crochet tutorials
- Access to a private FB group where you can get help and support if you are stuck
- Patron-only updates on upcoming patterns
- Cast your vote on future designs
Crochet Pro £7.99
Become a Crochet Pro and take your skills to the next level. Here you’ll get everything from Pattern Lover plus:
- Monthly coupon code for 1 FREE Crafting Happiness pattern of your choice
- Exclusive video tutorials for select crochet patterns to guide you step-by-step
- Priority access to pattern support and assistance with any crochet-related questions.
And this is how you crochet the V-Stitch Shells Border For Blankets. If you found this tutorial helpful, please share and Pin it! Follow me on Pinterest here.
Tag me @craftinghappinesscrochet with your creations, I would love to see how you used this border pattern on your projects.
Looking For Similar Crochet Tutorials?
- How To Crochet Spade Stitch Border (With Video)
- Crochet Large Scalloped Edging Instructions
- Large Leaf Stitch Border With Video Tutorial
- V Stitch Shells Border Crochet Tutorial
- Crochet Easy Lace Border (aka Chain Border) With Video
- Triple Picot Border Crochet Tutorial With Video
- Crochet Dot Border Stitch Tutorial & Video
- Ruffled Edge Blanket Border Tutorial & Video
The photographs in this tutorial are subject to copyright and are the property of Crafting Happiness, don’t use them to advertise your own creations. You may use photos from this post only if you directly link back to this tutorial.