The Popcorn Stitch – Pattern Description
In today’s tutorial, I’m going to show you how to crochet The Popcorn Stitch.
The Popcorn Stitch is created with 5 incomplete double crochets joined at the top and can be designed so the bobbles stack on top of each other or an offset to create a diagonal textured pattern.
Today I will teach you how to crochet the stackable bobbles. To make the offset ones, dc above the bobble below and make a popcorn above the dc below.
Scroll down for the step-by-step written and photo instructions and the video tutorial I made for those of you who are visual learners.
Please note that this post contains affiliate links, I will earn a small percentage should you choose to purchase something, but it will be at no cost to you. You can read the disclosure policy here.
Subscribe to Crafting Happiness YouTube Channel to save this video for later.
- Multiples of 2ch
- 2-row repeat
- Marriner Yarns Aran
- 5mm crochet hook
Multiple Color Use
- When using 2 or more colors, you will need to change colors every 2 rows and carry the yarn on the side
Pattern written in US terms using Craft Yarn Council abbreviations.
Popcorn Stitch (pc) – Make 5dc in the next stitch, pull the hook off the loop, insert it, from back to front, into the very first dc you made (count backwards from the loop), pick up the loop and pull it through. The popcorn stitch will pop up at the back.
- ch1 at the end of each row does not count as a stitch
- stitches contained within ** are the repeat section for that row
Starting Chain: This pattern requires you to chain multiples of 2. My starting chain is 22ch.
Row 1: sc in 2nd ch, sc in each st until the end of the row
Row 2: ch3 (counts as a stitch), *pc in next, dc in next*, repeat from * until the end of the row, ch1, turn
Row 3: ch1 (does not count as a stitch), sc in each stitch until the end of the row
Repeat rows 2 and 3 until you have the required length
Download The PDF Version
If you want to download the PDF version of this stitch, you can do so when you join our Crochet Club on Facebook. You can read more about it and see what patterns are available inside the Crafting Happiness Crochet Fan Club here.
For £3.49/mo you will get:
– a monthly premium pattern as sold in my shops
– all the tutorials and other free patterns from the blog in PDF format (available indefinitely)
– all the exclusive videos I have made for this group (available indefinitely)
– help and support if you are stuck
And this is how you crochet the Popcorn Stitch. If you found this tutorial helpful, please share and Pin it! Follow me on Pinterest here.
Don’t forget to tag me @craftinghappinesscrochet with your creations, I would love to see them and share them with my fellow crocheters.
Looking For Other Crochet Patterns?
- How To Crochet The Popcorn Stitch
- Crochet Blanket Stitch Pattern & Video
- How To Crochet The Perfect Stripes For Amigurumi
- Interlocking Shell Stitch Crochet Tutorial & Video
- Crochet V Stitch Ripple Stitch Tutorial
- Herringbone Puff Stitch Crochet Tutorial
- Crochet Large Blocked Puff Stitch Tutorial
- Offset Hearts Crochet Pattern (With Video)
The photographs in this tutorial are subject to copyright and are the property of Crafting Happiness, don’t use them to advertise your own creations. You may use photos from this post only if you directly link back to this tutorial.