Crocheting An Oval In Any Size You Like
Today, I will show you how to crochet an oval and make it as big as you like.
Use this pattern to make anything from small oval appliques to large rugs or tablecloths. The repeat section after the 4th round will show you how.
Please note that this post contains affiliate links, I will earn a small percentage should you choose to purchase something, but it will be at no cost to you. You can see my full disclosure policy here. Thank you for supporting my work and this blog.
Subscribe to Crafting Happiness YouTube Channel to save this video for later.
- crochet motif
- 1-row repeat
Pattern written in US terms using Craft Yarn Council abbreviations.
No special stitches were used in this pattern
- work in the round, without turning or closing the round
- stitches contained within ** are the repeat section for that row
- this pattern contains the first 4 rows, but you can make it as big as you like by continuing to increase the stitches in the same manner as you would with a circle.
- TIP: make this oval longer by increasing the number of chains you make at the beginning
Starting Chain: make a slip knot and ch5
Row 1: 3sc in 2nd ch from hook, sc in next 2chs, 3sc in the last ch, turn your work around (the stitches you just made are at the bottom), we will work on the other side of the chain, sc in next 2ch = 10
Row 2: *2sc in next 3sts, sc in next 2sts* x 2 = 16
Row 3: *(2sc in next st, sc in next st) x 3, sc in next 2sts* x 2 = 22
Row 4: *(2sc in next st, sc in next 2sts) x 3, sc in next 2sts* x 2
Repeat row 4 increasing the number of single crochet between increases (the 2sc in the same stitch you make on either side of the oval) until you have the size you want.
Download The PDF Version
If you want to download the PDF version of this stitch, you can do so when you join our Crochet Club on Facebook. You can read more about it and see what patterns are available inside the Crafting Happiness Crochet Fan Club here.
For £3.49/mo you will get:
– a monthly premium pattern as sold in my shops
– all the tutorials and other free patterns from the blog in PDF format (available indefinitely)
– all the exclusive videos I have made for this group (available indefinitely)
– help and support if you are stuck
And this is how you crochet an oval in any size you like. If you found this tutorial helpful, please share and Pin it! Follow me on Pinterest here.
Don’t forget to tag me @craftinghappinesscrochet with your creations, I would love to see them and share them with my fellow crocheters.
Looking For Similar Crochet Patterns?
- Crochet Poinsettia Square Pattern + Video
- Free Crochet Snowflake Square Pattern + Video
- Free Waterlily Granny Square Crochet Pattern
- Free Remembrance Poppy Flower Hexagon Pattern With Video
- Free Remembrance Poppy Flower Square Pattern With Video
- Free Crochet Granny Snowflake Hexagon Pattern
- Crochet Granny Hexagon Free Pattern & Video
- How To Crochet An Oval: Tutorial & Video
The photographs in this tutorial are subject to copyright and are the property of Crafting Happiness, don’t use them to advertise your own creations. You may use photos from this post only if you directly link back to this tutorial.