Leaf Stitch Border – Pattern Description
The Leaf Stitch Border For Blankets is an easy, beginner-friendly, edging border that looks great on blankets with both a simple design or a textured pattern.
Today I will show you how to crochet the Leaf Stitch Edging with a step-by-step photo tutorial and, for those who are visual learners, a video tutorial.
I recommend you crochet a base row on your edge before starting the border. Use any plain stitch for your base row, I always make a single crochet row around my blankets before crocheting any border.
If you are making this border for a blanket, check out my base row tutorial for blankets with double crochet rows or base row tutorial for blankets with treble rows to give you an idea of how a base row is made based on the different types of stitches your blanket rows are made with.
Please note that this post contains affiliate links, I will earn a small percentage should you choose to purchase something, but it will be at no cost to you. You can read the disclosure policy here.
Subscribe to Crafting Happiness YouTube Channel to save this video for later.
- Multiples of 6sts +1st
- 2 row
- Marriner Yarns Aran in green
- 5mm crochet hook
Get Your Supplies
Pattern written in US terms using Craft Yarn Council abbreviations.
|st(s) – stitch(es)||sl st – slip stitch|
|ch – chain||sc – single crochet|
|sk – skip||dc – double crochet|
|yo- yarn over||p st – picot stitch|
|V st – V stitch|
Picot Stitch (p st) – Ch3, sl st in the base stitch (NOT the base chain) by inserting the hook through both loops at the base.
V Stitch (V st) – dc, ch1, dc in the same stitch
- ch3 at the beginning of the row count as a double crochet stitch
- this border requires you to have multiple of 6sts +1 on each side of the blanket including the corner stitches.
- the section between * * is the section that needs to be repeated
- the section between ( ) are crocheted in the same stitch or chain space
- the section between ** ** includes the section between * * and will be repeated on each side of the blanket
- this border is crocheted in the round without turning, each round is closed with an sl st
Step 1: Join in any corner of the blanket with a slip knot, (ch3, dc, ch2, V st) in the corner stitch.
Step 2: sk2, *V st, sk2*, repeat from * until you reach the next corner stitch.
Step 3: ** (V st, ch2, V st) in the corner st, sk2, *V st, sk2*, repeat from * until you reach the next corner stitch **, repeat the entire section from ** on each side of the blanket.
Close the round with a sl st in the top chain of ch3 you made at the beginning of the round.
Round 2: Only work in the ch1 space of the V stitches with the exception of the corners where you also work in the ch2 space between the V stitches made in those corners.
Step 1: sl st in the V st, ch3, 5dc, (4dc, p st, 4dc) in the ch2 space between the V sts, 6dc in the next V st , sc in next V st.
Step 2: *(4dc, p st, 4dc) in next V st, sc in next V st*, repeat from *, repeat until you have crocheted in the last V st on the blanket side.
Step 3: ** 6dc in the first Vst of the corner, (4dc, p st, 4dc) in the ch2 space between the corner V sts, 6dc in the second Vst of the corner, *(4dc, p st, 4dc) in next V st, sc in next V st*, repeat from *, repeat until you have crocheted in the last V st on the blanket side **, repeat from ** on each side of the blanket.
Close the round with a sl st in the top chain of ch3 you made at the beginning of the round. Fasten off and weave in the ends.
And this is how you crochet the Crochet Leaf Stitch Border For Blankets. If you found this tutorial helpful, please share and Pin! Follow me on Pinterest HERE
Tag me @craftinghappinesscrochet with your creations, I would love to see how you used this border pattern on your projects.
Looking For Other Crochet Borders?
- Ruffled Edge Blanket Border Tutorial & Video
- Crochet Leaf Stitch Border Tutorial & Video
- Crochet Base Border For C2C Blankets
- Reverse Single Crochet (Crab Stitch) Border Tutorial & Video
- Crochet Layered Scallops Border Tutorial & Video
- Simple Picot Scallops Crochet Border Pattern With Video
- Easy Beginner Border For C2C Blankets (No Stitch Counting)
- Crochet Rib Border For Any Blanket Step By Step Tutorial
My Favorite Crochet Books
The photographs on this tutorial are subject to copyright and are the property of Crafting Happiness, don’t use them to advertise your own creations. You may use photos from this post only if you directly link back to this tutorial.