Poppy Flower Square – Pattern Info
Today I will show you how to turn a poppy flower into a Poppy Square with this simple tutorial for beginners. If you are looking for a tutorial to turn a poppy flower into a hexagon, check out this tutorial.
You can use this technique to turn any flowers into granny squares and use them to make blankets, shawls, sweaters, and handbags to name a few.
The square is adjustable to any size, just add as many rounds as you wish. And, of course, use your preferred yarn weight and colors to fit your needs.
Scroll down below for the written row-by-row pattern and the video tutorial I made for those of you who learn better from seeing how it’s done.
Please note that this post contains affiliate links, I will earn a small percentage should you choose to purchase something, but it will be at no cost to you. You can see my full disclosure policy here. Thank you for supporting my work and this blog.
Subscribe to Crafting Happiness YouTube Channel to save this video for later.
- crochet motif
- 1-row repeat starting with round 6
- Marriner Yarns DK in black, red, and green (or any colors of your choice, see options in the swatches section at the end of this post)
- 4.5mm crochet hook
Pattern written in US terms using Craft Yarn Council abbreviations.
No special stitches were used in this pattern.
- Ch3 at the beginning of each row counts as a dc stitch.
- ch4 at the beginning of the round counts as a treble
- Stitches contained within ** are the repeat section for that row.
- Stitches contained within ( ) are made in the same chain space.
- Work in the round, without turning
- The number at the end of each round is the number of stitches you should have in that round. The stitch count does not include the chains made in the corners.
- TIP: To make the hexagon larger, repeat round 6 as many times as you like.
With black yarn, make a magic ring
R1: 6sc in the magic ring, pull the tail to close the hole shut = 6
R2: 2sc in each st = 12
R3: *sc in next st, 2sc in each st* x 6 = 18
R4: Crochet all stitches in the back loops only. *sc in next st, 2sc in each st, 2sc in next st* x 6 = 24
Change colors to green and continue from where you finished R4
R5: Crochet all stitches in the back loops only. ch3, dc in next 4sts, (dc, ch2, dc) in next st, *dc in next 5sts, (dc, ch2, dc) in next st* x 3 = 28
R6: ch3, dc in next 6sts, (2dc, ch2, 2dc) in next st, *dc in next 7sts, (2dc, ch2, 2dc) in next st* x 3 = 44
Repeat round 6 by making a dc in each stitch and (2dc, ch2,2dc) in every corner, or fasten off and weave in the ends.
The Poppy Flower Petals
R1 (Outter petal): With red yarn, join in the first exposed front loop from R5. Ch4, tr in the same front loop, 2tr in every front loop from R5, sl st at the top of ch4 to close the round, fasten off, weave in the ends = 48
R2 (Inner petal): With red yarn, join in the first exposed front loop from R3. Ch3, dc in the same front loop, 2dc in every front loop from R3, sl st at the top of ch3 to close the round, fasten off, weave in the ends = 36
Download The PDF Version
If you want to download the printable PDF version of this tutorial, you can do so when you join my Patreon. You can read more about it and see what patterns are available inside the Crafting Happiness Patreon here. Choose from 2 tiers:
Pattern Lover £5.99
Dive deeper into the world of crochet with the Pattern Lover tier.
- Monthly 50% OFF Crafting Happiness pattern of your choice
- Ad-free PDF versions of all my FREE patterns
- Ad-free PDF versions of all published crochet tutorials
- Access to a private FB group where you can get help and support if you are stuck
- Patron-only updates on upcoming patterns
- Cast your vote on future designs
Crochet Pro £7.99
Become a Crochet Pro and take your skills to the next level. Here you’ll get everything from Pattern Lover plus:
- Monthly coupon code for 1 FREE Crafting Happiness pattern of your choice
- Exclusive video tutorials for select crochet patterns to guide you step-by-step
- Priority access to pattern support and assistance with any crochet-related questions.
And this is how you crochet the Poppy Flower Square. If you found this tutorial helpful, please share and Pin it! Follow me on Pinterest here.
Don’t forget to tag me @craftinghappinesscrochet with your creations, I would love to see them and share them with my fellow crocheters.
Looking For Similar Crochet Patterns?
- Crochet Poinsettia Square Pattern + Video
- Free Crochet Snowflake Square Pattern + Video
- Free Waterlily Granny Square Crochet Pattern
- Free Remembrance Poppy Flower Hexagon Pattern With Video
- Free Remembrance Poppy Flower Square Pattern With Video
- Free Crochet Granny Snowflake Hexagon Pattern
- Crochet Granny Hexagon Free Pattern & Video
- How To Crochet An Oval: Tutorial & Video
The photographs in this tutorial are subject to copyright and are the property of Crafting Happiness, don’t use them to advertise your own creations. You may use photos from this post only if you directly link back to this tutorial.