3D Hedgehog Stitch – Pattern Description
I’m excited to share this fun 3D Hedgehog Stitch with you—a modified marshmallow stitch made with double crochet clusters and front post double crochets stitched together.
I haven’t seen a stitch similar to this one, and because of its spiky look that reminds me of a hedgehog’s coat, I decided to call it the 3D hedgehog stitch.
It looks good in a solid shade and is stunning when crocheted in multiple colors. You can check out the swatches I made below.
This stitch will give your work that cool 3D effect and texture. It’s a unique stitch you can use for blankets and even garments.
Scroll down for the step-by-step written and photo instructions and the video tutorial I made for those of you who are visual learners.
Please note that this post contains affiliate links, I will earn a small percentage should you choose to purchase something, but it will be at no cost to you. Please read the disclosure policy.
Subscribe to Crafting Happiness YouTube Channel to save this video for later.
- Multiples of 8chs plus 2chs
- 2-row repeat
- Acrylic DK Yarn
- Click for YARN OPTIONS
- 4mm crochet hook
Multiple Color Use
- When using 2 or more colors, you will need to cut the yarn after every row
Pattern written in US terms using Craft Yarn Council abbreviations.
Front Post Double Crochet 5 Together (fpdc5tog) – *yo, insert hook, from front to back and around the dc post below, yo, pull up a loop, yo and pull through only the first 2 loops on the hook* x 5, yo and pull through all 6 loops on the hook, ch1
Front Post Double Crochet 10 Together (fpdc10tog) – *yo, insert your hook, from front to back and around the dc post below, yo, pull up a loop, yo and pull through only the first 2 loops on the hook* x 10, yo and pull through all 11 loops on the hook, ch1
Picot Stitch (pst) – ch3, sl st in the base stitch (NOT the base chain) by inserting the hook through the middle of the stitch and behind the loops.
- ch1 at the end of each row does not count as a stitch
- stitches contained within ** are the repeat section for that row
- the section between ( ) is crocheted in the same stitch or chain space
Starting Chain: This pattern requires you to chain multiples of 8 + 2. My starting chain is 42chs.
Row 1: sc in 2nd chain from the hook, *ch3, sk3, sc in next*, repeat from * until the end of the row, turn.
Row 2: ch3 (counts as a dc), *(5dc) in next ch3 space, pst, (5dc) in next ch3 space*, repeat from * until you crocheted in the last ch3 space, dc in the last stitch, ch1, turn.
Row 3: sc in first stitch, *ch3, fpdc10tog, ch3, sc in the space between the groups of 5dc below*, repeat from * until the end of the row (at the end, you sc in the space between the 5dc and the ch3 made on Row 2), turn.
Row 4: ch3 (counts as a dc), (5dc) in next ch3 space, *(5dc) in next ch3 space, pst, (5dc) in next ch3 space*, repeat from * until you have 1 ch3 space left, (5dc) in the last ch3 space, dc in the last stitch, ch1, turn.
Row 5: sc in the first stitch, fpdc5tog, ch3, sc in the space between the groups of 5dc below, *ch3, fpdc10tog, ch3, sc in the space between the groups of 5dc below*, repeat from * until you have 1 group of 5dc left, ch3, fpdc5tog, sc in the space between the group of 5dc and the ch3 you made on Row 4
Repeat Rows 2-5 until you have the required length for your work
Download The PDF Version
If you want to download the printable PDF version of this tutorial, you can do so when you join my Patreon. You can read more about it and see what patterns are available inside the Crafting Happiness Patreon here. Choose from 2 tiers:
Pattern Lover £5.99
Dive deeper into the world of crochet with the Pattern Lover tier.
- Monthly 50% OFF Crafting Happiness pattern of your choice
- Ad-free PDF versions of all my FREE patterns
- Ad-free PDF versions of all published crochet tutorials
- Access to a private FB group where you can get help and support if you are stuck
- Patron-only updates on upcoming patterns
- Cast your vote on future designs
Crochet Pro £7.99
Become a Crochet Pro and take your skills to the next level. Here you’ll get everything from Pattern Lover plus:
- Monthly coupon code for 1 FREE Crafting Happiness pattern of your choice
- Exclusive video tutorials for select crochet patterns to guide you step-by-step
- Priority access to pattern support and assistance with any crochet-related questions.
And this is how you crochet the 3D Hedgehog Stitch. If you found this tutorial helpful, please share and Pin it! Follow me on Pinterest here.
Don’t forget to tag me @craftinghappinesscrochet with your creations, I would love to see them and share them with my fellow crocheters.
Looking For Similar Patterns?
- Crochet Chevron Swirls Stitch Tutorial + Video
- Crochet Arcade Stitch Tutorial + Video
- How To Crochet The Bump Stitch (With Video)
- Crochet 3D Marshmallow Stitch Tutorial + Video
- Crochet Rice Stitch Tutorial With Video
- 3D Hedgehog Stitch Crochet Tutorial + Video
- Shells Blanket Stitch Crochet Tutorial + Video
- Crochet Crocodile Stitch For Thick Yarns
The photographs in this tutorial are subject to copyright and are the property of Crafting Happiness, don’t use them to advertise your own creations. You may use photos from this post only if you directly link back to this tutorial.