The 3D Cluster Stitch – Pattern Description
The 3D Cluster Stitch is a thick, double-sided pattern crocheted with offset front post double crochet clusters to give a 3D effect to your work. When crocheted in 2 colors, each side is colored differently, one color on one side, the other color on the other side. It works great for baby blankets, wearables, hats, and scarves.
The pattern is a two-row repeat and after making a few rows, you won’t need to reference the pattern anymore, you will know exactly where each stitch goes.
If you are using multiple colors with this pattern, you will need to cut the yarn at the end of every row, but the end result is well worth it.
Scroll down for the step-by-step written pattern and video tutorial.
Please note that this post contains affiliate links, I will earn a small percentage should you choose to purchase something, but it will be at no cost to you. You can see my full disclosure policy here. Thank you for supporting my work and this blog.
Subscribe to Crafting Happiness YouTube Channel to save this video for later.
- Multiples of 3ch + 2ch
- 2-row repeat
Pattern written in US terms using Craft Yarn Council abbreviations.
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- ch – chain
- sk – skip
- yo- yarn over
No special stitches were used in this pattern.
- ch3 at the beginning of the row counts as a dc
- ch4 at the beginning of the row counts as a dc plus 1ch
- stitches contained within ** are the repeat section for that row
- TIP: always make 3fpdc around the dc post below and 1dc in the middle fpdc of the 3fpdc stitches below.
Starting Chain: This pattern requires you to chain multiples of 3 +2. My starting chain is 32ch.
Row 1: dc in the 6th ch from the hook, *sk1, 3dc in next, sk1, dc in next*, repeat from * until you have 2chs left, sk1, ch1, dc in last ch, turn.
Row 2: ch3, *sk1, 3fpdc around the dc post below, sk1, dc*, repeat until the end of the row, turn
Row 3: ch4, ssk1, dc, *sk1, 3fpdc around the dc post below, sk1, dc*, repeat until you have 4sts left, sk1, dc, ch1, sk1, dc in the top ch of the ch3 you made on row 2.
Repeat rows 2 & 3 until you have the desired length.
Download The PDF Version
If you want to download the printable PDF version of this tutorial, you can do so when you join my Patreon. You can read more about it and see what patterns are available inside the Crafting Happiness Patreon here. Choose from 2 tiers:
Pattern Lover £5.99
Dive deeper into the world of crochet with the Pattern Lover tier.
- Monthly 50% OFF Crafting Happiness pattern of your choice
- Ad-free PDF versions of all my FREE patterns
- Ad-free PDF versions of all published crochet tutorials
- Access to a private FB group where you can get help and support if you are stuck
- Patron-only updates on upcoming patterns
- Cast your vote on future designs
Crochet Pro £7.99
Become a Crochet Pro and take your skills to the next level. Here you’ll get everything from Pattern Lover plus:
- Monthly coupon code for 1 FREE Crafting Happiness pattern of your choice
- Exclusive video tutorials for select crochet patterns to guide you step-by-step
- Priority access to pattern support and assistance with any crochet-related questions.
And this is how you crochet the 3D Cluster Stitch. If you found this tutorial helpful, please share and Pin it! Follow me on Pinterest here.
Don’t forget to tag me @craftinghappinesscrochet with your creations, I would love to see them and share them with my fellow crocheters.
Looking For Similar Crochet Tutorials?
- Crochet Chevron Swirls Stitch Tutorial + Video
- Crochet Arcade Stitch Tutorial + Video
- How To Crochet The Bump Stitch (With Video)
- Crochet 3D Marshmallow Stitch Tutorial + Video
- Crochet Rice Stitch Tutorial With Video
- 3D Hedgehog Stitch Crochet Tutorial + Video
- Shells Blanket Stitch Crochet Tutorial + Video
- Crochet Crocodile Stitch For Thick Yarns
The photographs in this tutorial are subject to copyright and are the property of Crafting Happiness, don’t use them to advertise your own creations. You may use photos from this post only if you directly link back to this tutorial.