The Blanket Stitch – Pattern Description
In this crochet tutorial, I want to introduce you to The Blanket Stitch.
The Blanket Stitch is a one-row repeat crochet pattern constructed with clusters of double and single crochet stitches that create a beautifully textured fabric.
It works great for afghans, baby blankets, garments and all sorts of accessories where texture is something you want to emphasize.
Please scroll down for the step-by-step written and photo instructions and the video tutorial I made for those of you who learn from watching someone else making this beautiful crochet pattern.
Please note that this post contains affiliate links, I will earn a small percentage should you choose to purchase something, but it will be at no cost to you. Please read the disclosure policy.
Subscribe to Crafting Happiness YouTube Channel to save this video for later.
- Multiples of 3ch
- 1-row repeat
- Marriner Yarns Aran
- 5mm crochet hook
Multiple Color Use
- When using 2 or more colors, change colors every 2 rows and carry the yarn on the side.
Pattern written in US terms using Craft Yarn Council abbreviations.
There were no special stitches used in this pattern.
- ch3 at the beginning of the rows count as a stitch
- stitches contained within ** are the repeat section for that row
Starting Chain: This pattern requires you to chain multiples of 3. My starting chain is 30ch.
Row 1: dc in 3rd ch, *sk2, (sc, 2dc) in next ch*, repeat from * until you have 3chs left, sk2, sc in last ch, turn
Row 2: ch3, dc in 1st st, *sk2, (sc, 2dc) in next *, repeat from * until you have 2sts left (the last dc & ch3), sc between dc & ch3, turn
Repeat row 2 until you have the required length
Download The PDF Version
If you want to download the printable PDF version of this tutorial, you can do so when you join my Patreon. You can read more about it and see what patterns are available inside the Crafting Happiness Patreon here. Choose from 2 tiers:
Pattern Lover £5.99
Dive deeper into the world of crochet with the Pattern Lover tier.
- Monthly 50% OFF Crafting Happiness pattern of your choice
- Ad-free PDF versions of all my FREE patterns
- Ad-free PDF versions of all published crochet tutorials
- Access to a private FB group where you can get help and support if you are stuck
- Patron-only updates on upcoming patterns
- Cast your vote on future designs
Crochet Pro £7.99
Become a Crochet Pro and take your skills to the next level. Here you’ll get everything from Pattern Lover plus:
- Monthly coupon code for 1 FREE Crafting Happiness pattern of your choice
- Exclusive video tutorials for select crochet patterns to guide you step-by-step
- Priority access to pattern support and assistance with any crochet-related questions.
And this is how you crochet the Blanket Stitch. If you found this tutorial helpful, please share and Pin it! Follow me on Pinterest here.
Don’t forget to tag me @craftinghappinesscrochet with your creations, I would love to see them and share them with my fellow crocheters.
Looking For Other Crochet Patterns?
- Crochet Chevron Swirls Stitch Tutorial + Video
- Crochet Arcade Stitch Tutorial + Video
- How To Crochet The Bump Stitch (With Video)
- Crochet 3D Marshmallow Stitch Tutorial + Video
- Crochet Rice Stitch Tutorial With Video
- 3D Hedgehog Stitch Crochet Tutorial + Video
- Shells Blanket Stitch Crochet Tutorial + Video
- Crochet Crocodile Stitch For Thick Yarns
The photographs in this tutorial are subject to copyright and are the property of Crafting Happiness, don’t use them to advertise your own creations. You may use photos from this post only if you directly link back to this tutorial.