The Blanket Stitch – Pattern Description
In this crochet tutorial, I want to introduce you to The Blanket Stitch.
The Blanket Stitch is a one-row repeat crochet pattern constructed with clusters of double and single crochet stitches that create a beautifully textured fabric.
It works great for afghans, baby blankets, garments and all sorts of accessories where texture is something you want to emphasize.
Please scroll down for the step-by-step written and photo instructions and the video tutorial I made for those of you who learn from watching someone else making this beautiful crochet pattern.
Please note that this post contains affiliate links, I will earn a small percentage should you choose to purchase something, but it will be at no cost to you. Please read the disclosure policy.
Subscribe to Crafting Happiness YouTube Channel to save this video for later.
- Multiples of 3ch
- 1-row repeat
- Marriner Yarns Aran
- 5mm crochet hook
Multiple Color Use
- When using 2 or more colors, change colors every 2 rows and carry the yarn on the side.
Pattern written in US terms using Craft Yarn Council abbreviations.
There were no special stitches used in this pattern.
- ch3 at the beginning of the rows count as a stitch
- stitches contained within ** are the repeat section for that row
Starting Chain: This pattern requires you to chain multiples of 3. My starting chain is 30ch.
Row 1: dc in 3rd ch, *sk2, (sc, 2dc) in next ch*, repeat from * until you have 3chs left, sk2, sc in last ch, turn
Row 2: ch3, dc in 1st st, *sk2, (sc, 2dc) in next *, repeat from * until you have 2sts left (the last dc & ch3), sc between dc & ch3, turn
Repeat row 2 until you have the required length
Download The PDF Version
If you want to download the PDF version of this stitch, you can do so when you join our Crochet Club on Facebook. You can read more about it and see what patterns are available inside the Crafting Happiness Crochet Fan Club here.
For £3.49/mo you will get:
– a monthly premium pattern as sold in my shops
– all the tutorials and other free patterns from the blog in PDF format (available indefinitely)
– all the exclusive videos I have made for this group (available indefinitely)
– help and support if you are stuck
And this is how you crochet the Blanket Stitch. If you found this tutorial helpful, please share and Pin it! Follow me on Pinterest here.
Don’t forget to tag me @craftinghappinesscrochet with your creations, I would love to see them and share them with my fellow crocheters.
Looking For Other Crochet Patterns?
- How To Crochet The Popcorn Stitch
- Crochet Blanket Stitch Pattern & Video
- How To Crochet The Perfect Stripes For Amigurumi
- Interlocking Shell Stitch Crochet Tutorial & Video
- Crochet V Stitch Ripple Stitch Tutorial
- Herringbone Puff Stitch Crochet Tutorial
- Crochet Large Blocked Puff Stitch Tutorial
- Offset Hearts Crochet Pattern (With Video)
The photographs in this tutorial are subject to copyright and are the property of Crafting Happiness, don’t use them to advertise your own creations. You may use photos from this post only if you directly link back to this tutorial.